Aging Gracefully: Oral Health Tips for Seniors

As we get older, it becomes even more important to take good care of our teeth. Taking care of our teeth and gums not only prevents issues like tooth decay and gum disease, but it’s also crucial for sufferers of diabetes and heart disease. Many seniors take medication which can cause a dry mouth, creating further risk of oral health problems.

So, how can we age gracefully and maintain excellent oral health as seniors? Here, the specialists at Victorian Dental Group explain some handy oral health tips for aging Australians:

Brushing twice a day

Brushing thoroughly twice a day is the first step towards great oral health whether you’re aged eight or aged 80. Brushing helps to remove the sticky plaque that builds up on your teeth which can leading to tooth decay and gum disease. Use a fluoride toothpaste and brush after breakfast and before bed.

Floss daily

Did you know that brushing typically only removes 60% of plaque you’re your mouth? The other 40% is down to flossing. Whether you’ve never flossed or you only floss occasionally, it’s never too late to get into healthy flossing habits. Dentists recommend you floss daily to ensure that plaque is removed from in between the teeth – not just the outer surfaces. If you find it difficult to floss, you can always use an interdental brush.

Watch for irregularities in your mouth

As we get older, our risk of oral cancer increases. If you see any irregularities in your mouth, get them checked out immediately. Look out for:

  • A spot in your mouth, lip, or throat that feels uncomfortable or sore
  • A lump or thick area in your mouth, lip, or throat
  • A white or red patch in your mouth
  • Difficulty chewing, swallowing, or moving your jaw or tongue
  • Numbness in your tongue or mouth
  • Swelling in your jaw
  • Pain in one ear without hearing loss

Visit the dentist and book in with a hygienist

Check in with the dentist and book a scale and clean with the hygienist every 6 months. Your practitioner will check over the teeth to see if you have any problems, and will conduct a comprehensive scale and clean. This removes plaque from hard-to-reach areas in your mouth, reducing bacteria which can cause decay and gum disease. Even the best brushers and flossers can’t remove 100% of plaque, which is where the hygienist is essential.

Victorian Dental Group is Melbourne’s Experienced team of dentists and hygienists. Not only is our team focussed on delivering high quality dental care to the highest standards, but it’s also our goal to provide a gentle and nurturing experience for patients. Make an appointment with our Malvern dental clinic today and experience a better way of going to the dentist.

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Victorian Dental Group